homeaboutfoodtravelartreadwatchmusings

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

NEXT UP: Almond Encrusted Tilapia


New year, new recipes! I've decided to cut back on my meals out to save on money (and calories), so weekend nights mean a perfect chance to try out a new recipe.

I bookmarked this almond encrusted tilapia recipe a while back. When my mom mentioned that she saw this recipe online and prepared it herself with great success, I realized it was time to give it a try.

I'm definitely more of a salmon girl when it comes to fish, but the tilapia was $2 less per pound - score!


I made this for myself and a self-professed almond lover, who I had to physically expel from the kitchen to keep him from eating all the raw almond slices. The crunchy crust and extra nutty slices on top of the fish are really what made this dish.

And tada - a picture of my perfect looking almond encrusted tilapia below!

(Okay, that's the picture my mom sent me of her rendition. Like mother, like daughter, like fish. Or something like that.)


Almond Encrusted Tilapia
Slightly adapted from Fannetastic Food's recipe
(Serves 2...well serves 1 hungry girlfriend and 1 extra hungry boyfriend...so maybe more like 4?)

1.25 pounds of tilapia filets
Salt as needed
1/4 Cup flour
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1.5 cup sliced almonds
1 Tbsp lemon juice

1. Finely chop 3/4 cup of sliced almonds. I did it by hand, but you could use a food processor.
2. Combine chopped almonds with 1/4 cup of flour in a shallow bowl.
3. Sprinkle tilapia with salt on both sides.
4. Dredge the tilapia in the almond/flour mixture.
5. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
6. Add fish and cook 4-5 minutes each side or until golden brown. Do not overcook. Remove fish.
7. Add remaining 3/4 cup of sliced almonds to skillet and cook by stirring constantly. Be careful not to burn them! (Mine were a little toasty...)
8. Sprinkle toasted almonds over tilapia. Sprinkle lemon juice as well.

Goes great with a side of steamed veggies. Enjoy!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment